Friday, February 27, 2009

Hawai'i

There I go! LOST, I am off, I am in the land of ghost, and my picture populates the cemetery.

Since I left I slept: 1 day on the plane, 1 day on the beach, 2 days in a car and tonight I am expecting another day on the plane, on my way to Alaska.


Monday
As soon as I arrived in Honolulu, I took another flight for the big island of Hawai’i.
The big island of Hawai’i is, indeed, big. Apparently it has 13 out of 18 climatic zones, and I chose to hang out in the colder ones.
Achim, the paraglider pilot I contacted before coming here, came to pick me up Monday morning at the airport in Kona (west side) to go and set camp at Hooneka beach, a short stretch of white sand beach, surrounded by cliffs, where you can often swim with a group of resident dolphins.
The beach is nice, but I am not used anymore to see so many palagi and woman in bikini. Mostly hippies, wearing the best yoga pants ever.
There weren’t many people over all, but it felt crowed.
Achim pulled out an inflatable tender from his truck and we paddle away looking for dolphins. Instead we meet a very interesting “dolphin-man” that appeared from nowhere, telling us how magical the dolphins were and how they bring messages and changes. He shared with us a couple of prophecies, which surprised both Achim and I.

In the evening, I dove with Jack Diving Locker, I wanted to experience being in the water with the giant manta rays. It was amazing. The dive masters were very professional but at the same time very good in creating an engaging atmosphere between the 10 divers on the boat. We first did a very shallow dive along a volcanic lava cliff looking for big fish (the highlight was the passage inside a lava tube!) and then we moved on to the manta rays favorite feeding spot and waited for dusk. Describing the feelings of diving with the giant manta rays is impossible; you just need to do yourself. Do it. These animals are indeed giants. And flirty. A couple would constantly come to me, check me out, open their huge mouth right in front of me and then glide up caressing my forehead. I felt cuddled. But also cold and nearly out of oxygen. The warm shower on the back on the boat is also something indescribable, also a must do after the dive! ;-)

“No, I have a ride, thanks, I am camping tonight” ”No, it is a guy that I meet this morning at the airport”. I told to the dive master when he asked me what I was going to do after the dive. I would not usually just take off with a guy like that, but Achim and I have been in contact while I was planning this trip, I was going to get lost on top of a mountain with him anyway, I figure if he was going to kill me he could do it anytime. Plus a man talking about the weather for so long can only be a pilot or very British.

Tuesday
The next day, we drove to the top of Pu’u Loa and I got a couple of flights in. I was nervous at first, but once in the air, a natural. I still have it. I can still fill the wing and the wind, pick the right places to be. I was so happy. It is me!
We set camp for the night and we went to see the observatory to return and find the tend and sleeping bags totally wet! Aua le popole (no problem), these are not really the problems of life. Luckily Achim’s car fit 2 people very confortably, and slepping wrap up to my wing is not really something new to me. Wings will keep you warm at night.

Wednesday
The next day I woke up with the sound of strong wind. “Can I kite?” was my first though… way to strong. We moved into a valley close by, but the wing there was so mellow that I could only flight few meters above the ground. No fun. Achim, let’s go flying somewhere else or let’s go sight seeing.
(The first sight was Freddy, 85 years old, that, coming with his truck from the opposite side of the dirt road at Pu’u Loa stopped me and told me “I knew a wonderful woman was going to cross my path today, and here you are! What can I do for you?”).

So we went to Hilo, where Achim lives, and I had the change to finally take a warm shower and check the e-mail. That is when the world stopped for a moment, because in between the e-mail, one was a very nice job offer hard to say no to. That flatters me, I have been in the market for less than 3 days, I have not advertised at all, and my good star is already shining light on me. I set an unofficial lunch-meeting in Honolulu the next day (call it Serendipity! I do not happen to be in Hawai’i that often usually…!!!), and then Achim and I got ready to go to see the lava flowing into the sea, creating bright red clouds of smoke. There wasn’t any activity when we got there, but few minutes before we got to the cliff, the lava started flowing again. Thank you Pele, the lava goodness, which has the power to create new land.
We drove back to Kona, slept in the airport in the truck again and I left early the next day.

Thursday
One of the most beautiful things of Thursday was to have Marsik to pick me up at the airport in Honolulu. I really missed him! Honolulu is so vibrant, energetic compared with the big island. Tourists are everywhere and yen are accepted as a currency in many shops. After my “interview”, Marsik took me to a bar where wonderful women with incredibly short skirts were serving at the table. I am sure Jeremy could comment on them. I wondered how I could fit leaving here. I cannot wear such a short skirt. It is tropical, sure, but very crowed. But I have to admit, I was also noticed many nice guys. Plenty of opportunities! In Neverland, in 3 years, I must have met no more than 20 single guys… I bet I saw at least 500 in few hours in Honolulu. ;-)
We (Marisk, me, and Marsik’s girlfriend which is wonderful!!!) went for dinner at an Egyptian restaurant. I am moved!

Friday
I made it to Alaska… brrrrrrrrr!!!!!! I did not like the flight attendant saying to run to buckle up to the seats because we were going to have very dangerous conditions. I drugged myself and happily woke up once in Anchorage. Snow Dave and I are now getting ready to drive to Fairbanks and go for a little freezing adventure to Tolovana hotspring… We should be back by Tuesday-Wednesday.