Tuesday, March 3, 2009

survived. barely

Usually when i go for adventure, i always think "ehhh, I have been in worst situations, i can do this".
But I have to admit that in these past 3 days backpacking near Fairbanks, Alaska, I did pass my "zone of confort" line more of a couple of times. Especially when I tore a muscle and could barely walk, with temperatures -25'C (-13'F), or when we lost the trail at sunset of top of a mountain and the snow storm came (for very little, but it was psycologically proving), or when with wolves start hauling and we were still walking, at night...
Although I have to admit that soaking in hot spring after such a day, the stars, and the snow stew I made in the warmth of a log cabin are all priceless.
I would definitly do it again, but with a sled this time!!!
I am safe in Fairbanks now, last night SnowDave and I slept in a hotel with inside restroom, warm running water and centrilized heating system. Got internet too! This world is amazing.
We are now getting ready to drive back to Anchorage. The Idiratod will start soon and there is a nice party atmosphere in the air. Last weekend we missed the run of the raindeers, an Alaskan version of the run of the bulls in Pamplona, Spain. I am so glad to be here during these days. I cannot wait to meet with the Clan again too.
A better description of the hike to come soon...

1 comment:

Ben said...

Were you skiing, or just hiking? Have you been able to see any northern lights?