Friday, March 27, 2009

"Show your boobs!!!"

Apparently this is what wild girls do during spring break. And apparently Las Vegas is a popular spot for spring break, and I happen to be in Las Vegas just right during spring break. That said, I admit I did not like this place at all when I arrived.
Slot machines welcome you as soon as you step out of the plane, or they are there to take the last change you did not spend yet.Last Vegas is the least eco-friendly place on Earth. Tons of electricity and water wasted every day and night, and people just come here to spend money and be crazy.
On my first night in Las Vegas I was asked to show my boobs and I was invited to an erotic toy conference (well, the lady told me she brings “romance” to women. I though she meant romantic books or something like that…).
Then I decided to embrace Las Vegas and go with the flow: I am having a blast!(In this pub the waitress would actually spank you after drinking...)

The first day of conference was not too exciting. A couple of speeches were interesting, but other would just make you ask yourself “why am I not at the romantic conference instead?”
The nights came and Las Vegas transformed itself. I attended a number of parties, which included free drinks, pool tables, spanking, Texans, Europeans… guys, guys, girls, girls (all geographers of some sort).
Next day, I meet lots of cool and interesting people and attended great speeches. I am happy to be here now! I also checked out the “romantic” conference… I am kind of speechless, certain things you just need to see with your own eyes. It was very intimidating when I saw a couple of very big handsome black guys checking out some toys. I ran out from the emergency exit door and returned to the better-known and safe world of geography.
Nights in Las Vegas start early and end late. Hotels are traps designed to get you lost. Floors are incredibly ugly and that is a way too to kept you from looking down… “Focus, focus, you are here to play, look up at the playing table…” everything seems to send that message. The atmosphere is cheerful. People are here to have fun, to meet people. Guys check out girls all time, girls are more discrete but efficient anyway with their tiny dresses. The only sad faces are at the hotel lobbies, those getting ready go home, usually broken, tired, and smelly of cigarette.
I got 2 wonderful body guards (SnowDave and John), partied, danced, salsa… I am exhausted, hangover, ready to hit the desert for the weekend.

No comments: