Saturday, March 21, 2009

Beginnings in San Francisco

"Beginnings are scary. Endings are usually sad, but it’s the middle that counts the most".

Wow, how much I loved the middle! James Bond left this morning for one of his missions. We had a wonderful early weekend eating hiking, mountain biking and eating (one of my favorite activities with him, especially in San Francisco, where you can food from nearly all the world), but I am now all alone in a coffee shop working on my Power Point for the conference in Las Vegas next week :-(.
But, don’t worry, I am meeting with Tylor this evening.
I am laughing because I feel like one of those girls at the start of the movie in “50 first dates” with Adam Sandler. What to say? He made me so happy and brought so much sunshine in my life, what a good addiction! But addictions are always bad on the long term and time as arrived for me to quit.

I am so sad, scared, happy and excited at the same time. What a cocktail of feelings to have in a coffe shop far from… where is home now?
Good news is that coffee shops in San Francisco have wireless and that on you can still find Vasco Rossi, Battisti, Celentano and Eros, and songs like “io vaganbondo”, “Todo que eu te dou” and “So What”. All song speak of me.
And good news is that there is skype and the chats in facebook and gmail and that I am blessed with the best friends in the world and there is always somebody awake for me! Thanks Samu for the good chat!
“The most beautiful discovery true friends make is that they can grow separately without growing apart.” (Elisabeth Foley).

(In San Francisco banks have coffee shops (bars) inside! Here, Well Fargo and Starbucks)
(Also, hang glider occupies the same environmental niche as sparrows and have their own National Park sign)
(Also, the Golden Gate is not JUST the name of the famous bridge. More importantly THE Golden Gate is the name of the small passage that connects the Pacific Ocean with the safe San Francisco Bay. Believe it or not, it seems like the name "Golden Gate" actually was inspired by the ancient name of Istanbul in Turkey).
From Wiki:
"On 5 August 1775 Juan de Ayala and the crew of his ship the San Carlos became the first Europeans known to have passed through the strait, anchoring in a cove behind Angel Island which is now named in Ayala's honor. Until the 1840s the strait was called the "Boca del Puerto de San Francisco" (Mouth of the Port of San Francisco). On 1 July 1846, before the discovery of gold in California, the entrance acquired a new name. In his memoirs, John C. Frémont wrote, "To this Gate I gave the name of "Chrysopylae", or "Golden Gate"; for the same reasons that the harbor of Byzantium (now Istanbul) was called Chrysoceras, or Golden Horn."One more curiosity. The name "California" comes from a book that told stories about Amazons (I learned it from a movie called "The king of California", which I loved).

No comments: