Thursday, January 22, 2009

Vets in Neverland

Time is flying! … and I am digging it! Stay tuned, because there is air of big changes!

Last week I had the greatest pleasure to host 3 vets in my house. As I mentioned before in my blog, from a western point of view, we have a stray dog problem on this island. From a western point of view, I call my cats “the lucky winners of the pet lottery” but, from a local point of view, they are “my pests control and security system”.

There are many stray dogs around that sometime makes walking challenging, unless you learn to walk with a golf club and few stones in your pocket (not to mention the challenges of planes landing...)

The Vets, like “vets without borders” came here to evaluate the island situation before their return toward the end of this year .With others, they are my heroes, and I was delighted hosting them for few nights.

“I know you!” Byron and I said uni-sound as we were introduced to each other. Byron worked here with another group of vets a couple of years ago; it was great to see people coming back to the rock. And great to have vets looking at my cats and dogs (I definitely learned a lot from them, including that Silvyax is not a permanently pregnant female as we though, but a big fat male... that kind of shocked me as I would have to change her, err, his name to Silvio, which would make me think to much about Berlusconi... not good. Sea proposed Sylvan instead).

(Emma and I after Nala's operation, enjoying her deep sleep to clean her very well...)

On Wednesday they left to check out Western Samoa as well, and I got another full load of guests with Tom and Sea (and later on Tylor as well). Tom (my right) and Sea (your right) always bring positive changes in my life, another exciting story soon to be told…

On Saturday, Tom, Sea and I (after killing ourselves with paragliding video… yes, yes… it is time for me to get back on the air…) went to the beach to soak a little bit, and escape the heat of this warm summer. A killer glass on the coral reef was waiting for me, to prey on my foot. Soon after, the killer glass also got Tom’s finger. Horrified with blood pouring out of our bodies, we decided we needed some medical attention. The idea of long hours waiting in the hospital ER made us tremble… but, ehi! “The Vets and fully functional today!”. I phoned to the clinic to ask if they had time to see us “we have 2 cuts”. Turns out they understood we have “2 cats”. I insist I do not speak with an accent, other people that listen with an accent…Anyway, we made it patient number 34 and 35 of the day, the last ones after 33 between dogs and cats visited, spared and neutered… Thanks Byron, Larry and Emma!!!("Cut, cut! no cat!".
"DOA" on the chair stands for "Department of Agriculture" and not for "Dead On Arrival" as most people may think...)

Useful links:

No comments: