Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"GET OUT OF HERE!!!"

I think this was quite hilarious and worth sharing...
This morning I drove early to work as I had a bunch of data that needed to be ready by 10 o’ clock. Brian came also with me. As we were turning
along Fagaalu bay, we saw a palagi man having serious problems with a couple of dogs. He must be a new guy here, as I saw him only twice, and also because he went running without any golf club or stones. He was kind of back walking trying to punch the dogs as they were going for his calves… I pulled the car over right next to him, thinking about getting out, take the emergency rocks I have on the back of my truckosaurous, and help this poor Christ. But as soon as I pull over, Brian, which was even closer to the scene, pulled his head outside the window and screamed, with an incredibly big voice “GET OUT OF HERE!!!”. The dogs got scared and ran away with the tail between the legs. The poor runner got scared, and also jumped back (he was probably too busy focusing on the dogs to notice us approaching). He finally gave us a weak smile, thanked us, and turned around to ran away before the dogs would come back.

Isn’t that something amazing to do 5.45 in the morning? If it were me running, I would have probably taken it personally and though, crying, “but I cannot leave today! It is Wednesday! No flights today!”. I hope this guy will not leave the island tomorrow… I also hope he will now go running with a golf club or stones or bear spray as everybody else does...

JB left the island last Thursday, what a wonderful visit it was! I guess I should be sad he left, but in reality everything was so perfect that I could not have wish for anything else! Incredibly, I am still in the process of moving! Two friends helped me to move the fridge 2 nights ago… what an adventure! But once home we hang out on the coach on the porch… what a peaceful place… the moon was rising big and yellow over the Pala Lagoon, and her light was painting everything silver… Big bats flying around, and a nice breeze keeping some mosquitoes away… it was nearly a pity to think to go to bed.

Sunday I got a tuna (it is always nice to get a big fish to BBQ with friends!) which we though to cook last night, if we did not forget to defrost it… Anyway, a good carbonara always makes it... I cooked at Brian’s house, as I do not have gas for cooking yet, and we had our first official dinner at my new place… so much fun! I love my neighbors! Capt Johnny and 2 other capts also came, such a merry company! And the bookshelf (made of bricks and boards) makes such a fast bench when are missing...And then on the porch again.. I think I can see myself spending many many nights just contemplating the view… (I will try to get a better picture...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbi! Wanted to contact you through Couchsurfing, but it's not playing nice at the moment :(

Well, I live in Fiji and I'm visiting Pago in a couple of days (work, and taking photos for the Miss South Pacific pagaent). I see you've just moved house, so I'm not going to ask to stay when you are still getting settled in yourself, but it would be nice to meet up for a coffee or something.

Here is my CS page: http://www.couchsurfing.com/people/divepeak

Ciao! Tim.

... said...

ciao Tim!
if you cannot contact me through coachsurfing, come to my office in Utulei on monday (EPA) or tomorrow all day in the yacht club for the Mosoi paddling race. Ask for me! Welcome to AS!!!