Tuesday, February 3, 2009

fish and bicycle?

As I am running through my stuff, I suddenly realized how many uncompleted things I will leave behind. Creams half used, books half read (I always read different books at the same time, depending on the mood), Italian goodies half eaten…

I got so many visits this month that I got enough chocolate to last 6 months (even though I have to admit I am hitting hard on my addiction these days).

I always like saving the good things for last… I think it is generally human nature.

But sometimes the end arrives earlier than you planned, and you realize you won’t have time to enjoy it all.

It happened to my parents. It happened to me too. When I was about 8, my mom prepared a mozzarella in carrozza (a kind of tastier, healthier, Italian version of cheese sandwich), my favorite dish. I left the cheese center as a last bite, so that my last bite would be the tastier of all, and I could walk away from the table with the higher degree of satisfaction. BUT, suddenly, my brother appeared behind my shoulders, grabbed it and ate it. Finished! Uma! The last tastier bit of mozzarella in carrozza was gone forever. I saved it last, and never had a chance to taste it. Worthless.

It was an eye opening experience, but even so, I still have the tendency of saving the best for the end.

Now I want to leave Carpe Diem, or to be more precise, the verse that come before that: “sapias, vina liques et spatio brevi spem longam reseces” “be smart, drink you wine (-Maria!!! Mil gracias por el vino Chianti!! Lo tome’ con amigos…uhmm… rico!!-), and rescale the hopes you had for a far away future with the ones that will happen soon”.

Moral of the story: I am trying to enjoy all I have at the best these days!

I am sick (uff… again) and today I took the day off to rest. I decided to pick up one of the half-read book, to see if I can finish it. It is called “Kiss my tiara”. It is a feministic book. We do not really have feminism in Italy, so I was curious to read about it. But sometime you need to know so much about American culture that I really get totally lost.

Can somebody please explain me what does this mean?

“A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle”. I really do not get it. It is not on wikipedia.

This book won’t make it off-island (although it has great phrases like “every time I break up with a boyfriend I think: this is one less jerk I may end up marrying!”).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

“A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle”.

I've never heard this quote before I can take a pretty good guess at what the author's implication is. I would guess that she's saying that fish can live absolutely fine without ever having a bicycle, and likewise a woman can live fine without a man.

Ben said...

Carpe diem is a great philosophy. I think all that sentence means is that a fish has no need for a bicycle just like a woman has no need for a man!? The author must attract a lot of jerks- maybe that's why she's a feminist.