Tuesday, April 21, 2009

An inspiring man

“If you can dream it, you can do it” Walt Disney

Many months ago, when I was still living in Neverland, I told a friend on our way to a hike: “Today I meet the most amazing fascinating guy of my life”. “Where!?!? Who?!?!” She replied. She lived on the island long enough to know that such an encounter is highly improbable. “Well, not here… on the internet…”.
The guy in question was Randy Pausch, a professor at the Carnegie Mellon University that diagnosed with terminal cancer, decided to share with the world (for his kids good), his life experiences.
He gave a wonderful lecture, “Really achieving your childhood dreams”, which is available on the Internet and which I highly recommend anybody to see.

Before coming to Italy I came across his book, bought it, and devoured in the last days.








The message is inspiring: you can either be Eeyore or Tigger in life (the characters from Winnie the Pooh, the first one, a donkey, is always negative, the second one, a tiger, is energetic and full of life). I met both types, and I have been both.
Randy often made a comparison between obstacles in life and brick walls. He said: The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. . .

I love this. It gives me strengths.
As both my parents died young, I am not expecting to have a long life myself neither. And as Horatio said “put little hope in the future” (quam minimum credula postero)!
These days I am building the bases a easier future… after going through so much and after studying and working, I am so getting ready to have some serious fun!
Never underestimate the importance of laughing and having fun!

In Rome I have amazing friends (and I own them so much in life!!!! From my teenagers years to any visit I did back here in the past 10 years). But Rome is a big city…. I cannot wait to be up in the mountains with my grandma and the goats like Heidi!!! This weekend I will start making my way up…


Me having fun in Hawaii the day after I left Neverland!

5 comments:

FlyHawaii said...

Hello Italy,

don't forget the Big Island.
Come back and we'll fly Mauna Kea.
YOU can do it.
Hope you find what you are looking for.

Achim

... said...

Achim! Of course I won't!
Ladies and Gentlemen, if you ever are on the Big Island, go flying with Achim (which also took this video!).
If your offer is still good, I may join you in one expedition... make it somewhere exotic and warm... ;-) (and we already found that Hawaii can be cold! ;-)!)
But first i have to get stuff done here and get few (many!) hours of flying in the Alps...
Thanks for the wishes!!!

Luis Portugal said...

Hello, I like the blog.
It is beautiful.
Sorry not write more, but my English is bad writing.
A hug from Portugal

Adam said...

That was an awesome video! Was that powered by a fan or something in the back, or is it all just the wind?

... said...

Sim problema, escribime en portugues! No lo falo, mais lo entiendo!

No fan... just wind... ahhh... wonderful wind...