Thursday, April 9, 2009

Corvallis and Heroes

Corvallis is the place where people stop me in the street and say “Barbara! You are back!”. I still wonder how can all these people still remember me (and Maria of course).
Yesterday dott K., the interim geosciences department chair, saw me walking in the corridor, ran to me, put his books on the floor, took off his shoes, and took me to tango across first foor. Then Biniam and dott. B. came, and Biniam reminded him the day I pinned him to the floor (I was just showing dott. B. an Aikido move, but it was hard to explain it to my ex when he walked in the room and saw me pinning his professor to the floor).

Corvallis is good for me. There is the Coop with natural food, fast internet, tons of meetings for coffees, teas, lunches, dinners, parties, international students get together… I love it!

I have been going to the rock climbing gym everyday to refresh my skills (getting ready for this weekend at Smith Rock), and found quite a special climbing buddy. When I asked him what he does in life, he said he was a “professional kayaker”. I though “god, they are everywhere!” and Do they go through a special selection criteria that if they are not gorgeous enough they do not let them next to the river?”. The next day I was curious to see how a professional kayaker makes his living, and I googled him.
What an inspiration he is!
In January, I was craving for adventures after reading a book about a whitewater kayaking expedition in Tibet, I decided it was about time for me to leave the safe island nest for some adventures. Now that I am about to move back to Italy for a bit, I met this example of perfect equilibrium between intelligent investment, passion, community service, and commitment.
This guy that holds me up when I fall from the rock wall, that cheers me up on a difficult route, is a National Geographic Adventure Hero. And more. I am going to feel like such a wimp tomorrow when I see him ;-). But he is also an inspiration. I can do things, and I am going to do them better!
Tomorrow I am leaving for Smith Rock with a bunch of strangers that I haven't met yet, and meeting there with a very old friend of mine that I haven’t seen since the Polar Bear Swim, 1st January 2001 in Vancouver Canada!

No comments: