Monday, November 3, 2008

Halloween in American Samoa

In many they asked me how Halloween is in American Samoa.
I think this is probably my 4th Halloween ever and I cannot say that I am an expert on this matter...
My first Halloween I was 21 in Oregon. I was baby sitting and accompanied my kid for “trick or treat” (i was a gypsy witch). it was fun, different, sometimes even a little bit scaring…
My other 2 Halloween where the ones of a college student: crowed parties with crazy dresses and lots of alcohol. The kids came early to the house to get their candies, but at night, it was no place for them…
In American Samoa, I had the impression that Halloween it is not really a big thing. I have an intern that told me that she is not allowed to celebrate Halloween because it is against her religion (she is Pentecostian... -one of the 100000 branched of Christianity, that are all represented on island). Few kids dress up, but most are just after the sweets.
There is a zone in Tutuila where most contractors (mostly palagis) live, called Lions Park. Apparently, kids are bussed in to get candies on Halloween evening. When candies are finished (and it happens fast), they may ask you for anything else in the fridge, or money… until the poor palagi either leaves or hides under the bed. Yes, it does sound like a scaring night to me.

Personally, if a 200 pounds 8-years old kid asked me for a candy, I think I just could not do it… (it happened to me (and to others) more than once that big kids would ask me for money to go to buy sodas… This thing always leaves me shocked. Maybe it is cultural, but if I have to give my money away I would rather donate them to kids that are really starving, not for kids that should diet…).

The Halloween party I attended was great. The theme was “pirates”. Remember this?
"To all buccaneers, rascals, and old scallywags
(those with lots o' loot and those only with rags):
Ye be invited to a hearty piratey Halloween party,
on Halloween night, startin' around seven-tharty.
Ye should come dressed in yer swash-bucklin' best:
ye needs a wooden peg leg or an old eye patch,
a fierce-lookin' hook or a beard ye can scratch.
We's gots snacks and drinks enough fer a large crew,
ye should bring somethin' along to eat or drink too.
We'll drink lots o' rum faster than ye can blink,
pirates all know ye can't have too much o' that drink."

It was too temping in that case to go dressed like Peter Pan! There were also other costumes, one funnier than the other!

The star of the night was "bad boy", and adopted batBest costume should go to this happy guy surrounded by girls.

No comments: