Monday, November 10, 2008

Airport beach

First of all, you should check Liz's entry about the election, it is... perfect!

There is a beach along the airport runway. It is far from people and you can wear a bikini (yeah!) and you can swim on Sundays (double yeah!!). I have not been here for ages, and I promest myself to come more often. Snorkeling here is easy and nice. There aren't strong currents, and the waves brake far away. It is like being in a swimming pool! But there are also many treasures here... fishes, shells, corals, perls (? I never saw one, but I like imagining there may be some)...
The treasures are also guarded by reed sharks and barracuda, which I openly try to avoid as much as possible.
Since my new camera is waterproof, I decided to try it out! I am far away to be an underwater photographer, but... well... this is my life! For wonderful underwater pictures, check out Paul's blog! And... the first treasure! Lucy found this as soon as she entered in the water!

Fish party in this coral branches!
me-Mary-Lucy
This interesting thing was attached to an underwater net. Hypothesis are: it is a GPS unit that fishermen use to track the nets (fish aggregation devices) they let drift in the Pacific (since, apparently, there are anymore many logs around), or it is a bomb from WWII (sometimes they pop out...)
I love the reflection of the sun on the sea floor, and the way it dances with the waves on top.
Hiking back we saw a couple of whales breaching offshore. This is a sight i think i will never be able to grow tired of.
The hike is along cliff formed by an old lava flow. many fractures on the floor make perfect blow holes. This place is actually spectacular (and scaring!) during big seas!

No comments: