Saturday, September 6, 2008

The fish-ball effect: gossip island

I heard a wonderful paragon about the island: the island is like a fish ball. And from here I could articulate with many many many metaphors.

The world is the ocean, and the people are the fishes (fishes because of many different species). The ocean is filled (hypothetically, without thinking about the collapse of the fisheries) with fishes, and you are just one like many other. You do not like a particular fish? No problem, the ocean is big enough for both of you and you can avoid him/her with no problem. You dream to find the fish of your dreams? There are countless places you can look for.

But when you are in the fish ball, you need to learn to co-live with the other fishes of the fish ball, as it constrains you inside the limits of the glass, same way the ocean constrain us on this island, which is quite small too.

Similarly, in the ocean you may be a fish like many others, but in the fish ball you are quite unique, special, with unseen skills. If in the ocean you are a normal fish, in the fish ball you are a big fish. And you get jobs and ask that you would otherwise be given at bigger fish in the ocean. Which is why I think that living in the fish ball is good, as you gain much experience that you would not if living in the ocean.

The other thing is: are you looking for a cute fish that would keep you company in the night? Well, there are only 4 single fish in the fish ball, Either one of them or nothing.

I have been thinking about it a bit and I cam with a interesting answer: maybe this explains why there is so much gossip in a fish ball.

As your chances to choose a mate are limited, you need to know as much as possible about the available fish before deciding on one. This is why fish lissen to gossip, and spread more. It is all useful information (maybe, or maybe it does not matter at all).

The problem of the gossip itself is the medium it moves through. A fish tells a story about a fish to another fish. This fish repeat the story to another fish and so far… when the story reaches the last fish of the line, it is often so distorted from the original that resembles more a science fiction story!

I am choosing this topic today because I recently learned of relationships I had… relationships I was never involved what so ever! It is slightly upsetting knowing that a fish is telling stories about you, when you never saw him!!! Especially when you spend so many days all alone!! Now, I am not a saint (neither I want to be), but I was taught certain manners that a person holding my last name should follow, and I did not like hearing false rumors about me. This may sound very Samoan, but I do represent my parents, and my misbehaving would put shame as much on them as on me.

This week then has been my confrontational week, in which I investigated the sources of these rumors and faced those fishes. No, no need for the wooden spoon. It was acutally a very interesting week, and there was plenty of space for good laughs with friends! A dinner with 4 friends can really help to look at the world from the bright side! I was actually very pleased to hear many fishes laughing about my gossips, as, knowing me, they were able to distinguish reality from science fiction. So, after all there was lot of laughing involved, somebody worried, but “all is well, what ends well”! So, I would like to ask, if you hear gossip about me, before repeating it, fell free to ask for confirmation… I do not usually do things that I know I would be ashamed of… and you know that I do not drink and live a quite conscious life…

Also took part of my “confrontation week” my Portuguese ex-boyfriend Duarte. I dated Duarte for a year about 8 years ago when I was living in Wales. He broke up with in a very unnice way and I was mad at him for a while. Never looked for or hear from him again. A couple of month ago a new girl came on island. Almost immediately, we found out that we both know Duarte (can the ocean be smaller???). Through her I got in contact with him and I have to say it was actually so nice hearing from him (no fear friend, no fear!). But I had to tell him: I told him how unkind he has been with me, and I finally got rid of this bad karma I carried with me all this time. It felt so good! I think Taekwondo is very good for me, I finally came back to be a bit more fighty!
Talking with him was also very constructive, and so pleasurable to be sincere! Well, from
now on, he won’t be the “bad Portuguese boyfriend” anymore… is has a much better title of which he is much more happy with! ;)

Duarte: good to hear from you!!!!!!!! I did have a great time with you after all! Best wishes! And Hannah and Ben: send news!!!

Coming back from Liverpool after a successful Judo tournament! It was so fun be being so violent!!! ;) (1 gold and 1 bronze for me!! Duarte and I on the back, Ben in the very front)


4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

shoot! I never get to hear the good gossip. . . apparently, though, that might be a good thing!

... said...

jajaja! wait! wednesday is naked woman night! lots of time to talk a bit there! jajaja ;)

P a n c a k e said...

I heard you were dating the Governor's wife. True?

... said...

Everybody knows that that was you!!!
Barbara