Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Snow in Tafuna

It is Sunday morning. I wake up early because I got a lot of work to do! Sami has been sleeping on my belly and I move slowly not to wake him up. I stretch and look out of the window to check on the weather. A nice sunny day, and the Tafuna plain is covered with a thin blanket of white snow. “Great!” I think as I walk to the restroom “it was about time for some snow, it is already December”. Then I pause for a second… “I do not think this is possible…”. I ran back to the window to look out again. WOW! This is the view…

It seems like the big Thanks Giving day in Samoa is not much on Thursday evening but rather Sunday morning. It seems like every single family in Tafuna is having a Umu (the traditional samoan oven make with hot rocks, banana trunks, banana leaves…). I wonder how many turkeys are cooking right now.

The thin blanket of snow is in reality the smoke coming out from the umu (in the process of heating the lava rocks that will cook the food I think), blocked there by a stratified atmosphere. Amazing view.

No comments: