Sunday, June 8, 2008

a weekend in Oregon

I was here (Corvallis-Portland area, Oregon) a month ago, I am here now, and I will be back again in a month! You may think that I have secret lover here that I come to visit any time I pass through the west coast, but it is not really the case. But I do have a bunch of wonderful friends that I love and miss a lot and that I am always happy to go and visit any given chance…

And about the lover… apparently I have boyfriend now!!! In American Samoa! But I will tell you more about him soon, but mainly this is one of the reasons I haven’t been updating my blog for the whole week… love, you know

Thursday night I left the island on the big Hawaiian Airline plane (yes, my love story did not last very long! Already at a distance!). The flight was horrible, the A/C is set for hibernation temperature, and this probably rate has one of the top ten colder nights in my life. I asked for an extra blanket, but I did not get it for at least one hour, at that point I was already shivering and turning very white. I kept on looking at the laptop… “maybe if I turn it on, and hug it, it will provide me with some heat… well, cold hand hands (and feet, nose, ears), warm heart. For the first time in my life I wished I was sitting in the middle between two big fat persons (that are not lacking on this flight), so that I could steal some of their body heat… but, no, window right next to a skinny woman. I pulled the blanket over my head, to trapped the heat I was breathing out and survived the night.

The plane landed in Honolulu at 5:00am, I re-checked in the baggage for next flight to Portland and took a taxi downtown to meet with my cousin Mia at the YWCA. Fun to see her there! And I am going to meet her on Monday again in Portland, she has a 8 hours lay over there (on her way back to Italy) and I am going to pick her up with Liz and showing her around.

I returned to the airport early to make some ticket changes. I was supposed to visit James Bond on my way back from Italy, but this rapid change in my life (my boyfriend) also required a rapid change on my flight itinerary… therefore, I will instead spend the 4th of July weekend in Portland with my new special one (hopefully!), Maria Jose and the rest of the band.

Elly and Trevor came to pick me up at the airport in Portland at 10.00 pm, we went to eat something (in the U.S. you can find a place open to eat at any time of the day and night!!!) and then I passed out on her new couch…

This morning she drove me half way down to Corvallis, and Liz and Biniam drove the other half way to pick me up… exciting!!!

It is always so nice to be back to their house, as half of the furniture used to be mine and it really feels like coming back home! We went to the healthy food store and bought a bunk of goodies, including vegetables, cheeses, fresh rustic bread, buffalo meat, yogurt… I love this place. But I have to say after so long away, everything also feels so… plastic, fake. I mean the big signs along the roads, the clean places with no chickens or dogs, the stores selling mass-produced objects and or items from other part of the world. Even at the health store I saw avocadoes, and very innocently I asked “how can you have avocadoes… it is not season!!!” But Oregon does also have something so magical, irresistible… We went to a BBQ at a park; the color of the grass and big tress, the smell of the meat roasting, the people wearing outdoor clothing… this is truly my far west!

But, ehi, they do have funny things going on here! An article on today’s newspaper described top-less laws in Oregon: it is ok to be naked as long as you are only in the presence of people of the same sex. Women can be topless in public. But if a man shows signs of arousal, he needs to dress up not to be illegal. Although, in that case, I bet all the other men would dress up even faster. Just sharing today’s funny discovery…

I am so tired now!!! Good night world and sweet dreams!!

2 comments:

P a n c a k e said...

Wait, are you dating Doug Juergens?

... said...

it is you!!! you insensitive!!! ;)
no, wait... it is not you!!! it is...