Saturday, May 17, 2008

Abstinence, please!

These past days have been very monotonous indeed: work, stress over my coming trip to Italy, going to bed waking up every time a rooster –apparently- calls my name.

Pietro and Mia were in Ofu for 3 days, and they left again this morning for Western Samoa. I am missing them so much already. I finally made time to paint my room some color that was not white. I really knew when I came back from Alaska, that I am not made to sleep in a white room.

I bought a cool “sea-harbor” blue that, from the 1x1 cm little colored box you look at when you buy the color, seemed so nice. Of course, after half room is painted you realize it was not really the kind of blue you wanted, and “why don’t they just call the colors with their real name? Smurf-blue. Easy. Everybody would know what to expect”. I have to say, the room does look great even with a smurf-blue.

But all this time alone, gave my mind lots of “free” time to run wild with all sort of thoughts. Reading Jeremy’s blog (Jeremy is another lost child on this island –his link is on the right side of this post), it seems to me that I have not been the only one getting the “let’s save the planet” kind of thoughts.

Last night I went to for a short time to potluck, and I learned that 32.5% of the island population is under 14 years of age! Now, that is scaring! The median age is now 24 years old! This means that very soon there will be an abundance of young adults looking for land to build a house, with a car, probably weighting around 100 kg, eating a shit-load of crappy food, producing even more garbage and shit, of course. Yes, I knew that the population triple in the past (what?) 40 years, but… I am going to be here to see all this happening? 2 more years on the rock?

And following thoughts: “am I doing the wrong job? Should I just try to focus on the kids’ education, teach them not to trash, how to recycle, how to eat healthy food? And how on earth can you teach birth control here?!?” Abstinence (that is what the government goes for here –there are so many signs along the road about abstinence --) is clearly not working, considering the rate of teenager pregnancy.

American Samoa population density (353/km2 or 914/sq m) wins the 33rd place in the list of the most populated countries. Right now, I swear, it does not really look that overpopulated, all you see from a boat is just jungle green; you can still drive on that 1 road without too many delays for traffic (I should also add that I grow up in Rome were traffic is much worst)… how different would that be when all these kids will grow up? Will the last low land rain forest existing in the US still survive? Considering that last month they clear-cut a big piece of it to build a new house. Why none seems to be able to pass a bill to protect it?

Buying land in Alaska all of a sudden seems like such a good idea…

I am leaving you with this though for the moment…soon would like to write about YOU reader, and about some ideas to help the planet…

(kids are everywhere!!! the cutest!)

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Actually, there really isn't a horrible teen-pregnancy epidemic. If you want to see one, go to Medford, OR. The problem as I see it are the individuals that have had 5-6 kids. There is A LOT of family planning discussion here at LBJ and at the public health for people that have had babies. It's hard to talk them into it. People want 5-8 kids here. Now I don't know how much discussion there is for family planning for teens but it should be more-but the population explosion is not their doing.

Also, I thought I read that the population is fairly static here with people leaving for the states and the military. I think the population is high in children because a lot of grown adults leave the island to make a working wage in the states.

So, see there is hope!
HarHar

:)
Death to Roosters

Unknown said...

100 kilos? How many people here weigh 100 kilos? Are we talking women under 20? If so, then yeah, some do. But overall population? I think 100 kilos is way way way lower than the average for the Samoan male population at least. This is a place where I am routinely referred to as really skinny and I weigh 200lbs.

... said...

well, yes, it is true Aaron, i was trying to be polite... well, i guess even if I say 150 kilos I am still being polite... :)