Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Priceless

(Sunset over Anchorage, hiking back from the mountain)

Because life is short and unpredictable and you need to enjoy every little bit of it!!!

I am back to island life. That is, waking up at 6:00 in the morning, do some exercise, wear some flowering shirt, wear flip-flop, commute to work on my truckosaurous, do my work/chatting, changing the world, go home/shopping/visiting friends, read a book/write my blog/be artistic, make phone calls to off-island friends and family, go to bed before 10:00pm.
I am back to island life. Ready for this long 3 days working week, followed by a 4 days long weekend (Thursday is flag day, and Friday bridge). Mia is coming on Thursday!

As I am always traveling on budget, when I come back from a trip I always check how much I spent, to learn from mistake and be more careful next time. As I travel, I try just to enjoy being there!
This is what 3 days in San Francisco, 17 days in Alaska, and 3 days in Oregon cost me:

  • Transportation: ~600 (car rental and gas)
  • Food: ~800 (I ate nearly every day at restaurants!)
  • Books and art works: ~200
  • Presents for people I met on the way: ~80
  • Presents for me (includes warm clothing and technical hiking gear): ~300
  • Fun activities: ~150

Although, these are what I returned with:

  • A weekend in San Francisco with James Bond: priceless
  • Kayaking above the San Andres fault: priceless
  • Meeting the clan of the chemistry cave bear: priceless
  • Being the tannest person in the room: priceless ;)
  • Going mushing with 11 super trained dogs: priceless
  • Going mushing with my own dog team: priceless
  • Seeing a grizzly foot print in the fresh snow and getting safe to the cabin in the middle of nowhere before dark and without being eaten: priceless
  • Drinking hot chocolate in a warm cabin when outside is incredibly cold: priceless
  • Soaking in a hot spring when 2 Japaneses, 1 Spanish, Dave and a very interesting girl from California: priceless
  • Seeing the Northern light: priceless
  • Going on a bush plane for a whole day and trying to land on (not so) frozen river: priceless
  • Looking up, opening the mouth and letting snowflakes falling in it: priceless
  • Hiking on top of a mountain on fresh snow and saying the greatest sunset over Anchorage: priceless
  • Food, food, food, food…: priceless
  • Long chats with SnowDave: priceless ;)
  • Going to Whittier the shittier and discovering that is not so bad after all: priceless
  • Sleeping with Suka: priceless ;)
  • A weekend in Oregon: very priceless
  • Dancing salsa as I have not done for a while: priceless
  • Laughing, hugging, being with friends: priceless

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Barbara!! eres la mejor, cuanto te echo de menos!! que gas tengo de verte! pasalo bien con tu prima...dale recuerdos de mi parte! y igual nos vemos en Oregon en junio!!

besosss

Maria Jose