Saturday, April 12, 2008

Act5: superestar in Oregon

Saturday morning: I am in bed right now, yesterday i had one of the best days of the year. It is the magic of Corvallis, the place where i lived for 4 years total, 1 year in 2000-2001 as an exchange undergraduate student (my university was the University of Bangor, North Wales), and 3 more years during my master from 2003-2006. Here I am the Barbi Superestar con los ojos vierde muriajuana (with mariujuana-green eyes). It came from a song, some people started calling me this way, and then, at the same time, people in Wales too.
I landed in Portland thursday morning, Elly came to pick me up at the airport and we went straight to have some indian food (how much i miss it!!!) with Trevor, Elly's boyfriend who is also Tyson's brother (Maria Jose's husband). Then we went to visit Trevor's (and Tyson's) grandparents, that lived just closed by. Trevor's grandparents spoiled us a lot when we were in Oregon, not to count all the Thanks Giving dinner's we had with them. Thank Giving days here where a constants migration between Trevor's two set of grandparents, and then Elly's family. Trevor's told me about his hypothesis of the "Barbara's curse". He says when people meet me, they never forget me. I thought he was exagerrating a lot, but maybe now i started believing him, many people confirmed. Since people in Corvallis where still busy with work, we stopped at the place where Elly works as a massage therapist, and we spoiled ourselves with a foot massage, tea and chocolates! After all, after 12 hours on a plane, i deserve it! :)

I arrived in Corvallis. I am staying with Biniam and Liz. Biniam used to be my roommate, but to me it is much more than just a roommate, he is like a brother. He used to live across the road from me, and used to come nearly everyday to get some food from me. My very developed italian man-feeding personality would not allow me to say no, so after a while we decided we should move together so i could cook for him everyday and try to fatten him up. I worked hard on it, but i never succeded, he is still so skinny!!!
As I entered into their new house, it was like a jump in the past, as most of the forniture it actually used to be mine. For Elly was even more so, since i got most of the forniture from her family. As she entered she standed in front of the dining table and said "oh my god, the table of the childhood!!!!).

Dinner: time to go to my preferite indian restaurant (again!). As I entered, the waiters hugged my and asked me where I have been all this time. They took my menu away and said they knew what i wanted: chicken tikka massala. What a great evening, we laughed a lot, and we were toward the last people to leave the place. I wished the day would never end.

Great for a first day in Oregon... tomorrow i will tell you more about the weekend... now I am in Elly's house (tomorrow morning i am going back to the island!!) Thanks guys!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

a New York.....talmente stravolta che non credo andro´a Manhattan......magari domani matt. se mi sveglio verso le 5....dubito.....ma sai.....arrivooooooooo!!!!!!!!!Non vedo l ora sia il 17!!!!!!Un beso

Unknown said...

barbara, it's true what trevor said that once people meet you they never forget about you...

Unknown said...

this will be my third post today, but i cannot stop myself!!!
it is so great to see everybody in pictures and you so happy!! and the indian food from Corvallis!! I still remeber the taste of that tikimassala!!
looking forward to try it agaian!!

big kiss and i talk to you soon