Sunday, April 27, 2008

Gee’s bridal shower and the end of the truckosaurous

Again I have to underline the fact the Samoans KNOW how to party. There are lots of laughing, dancing and drinking. Unluckily though even here there are people drinking and driving, and this fact signed the end of the blue truckosaurous last night (I still have my green truckosaurous), when a man decided to take a nap as he was driving and did not see the road turning, and neither our truck coming from the opposite side of the road…. But let’s go by order…

Gee, my coworker, is getting married next week (I saw more wedding and babies being born here in Samoa in last 2 years than in my entire life). Her sisters and brothers organized for her a bridal shower (addio al nubilato), and I had the honor of being invited.
(Gee doing her Siva)

(Mia, myself and Josie -she also works with me-)
Describing what happened to that party would never give a proper feeling of what it was being there. If you saw the movie “Priscilla, queen on the desert”, imagine that multiplies 10. One of the main attraction was in fact given by the “dream girls”, a group of 3 fa’fafine (of course 2 meters high, 1 meter large, and with the most striking dresses), dancing with a elaborated choreography that included full splits and panties showing… Then there was Gee’s ant, a big woman on her 50th with a big bottom that loved doing lap dance on one of the poles that was holding the tend up. And there were cat walks, and “tiger” walk (on all 4s)… Mia and I felt speechless most of the night. The atmosphere was just so engaging, where any woman was a WOMAN, with all her humor and her sexuality, no matter age or size. A night without precedent, I wonder if there will ever be a sequel.
(the dream girls in one of their dance)

(this, you can imagine what it was...)

After the bridal shower, we went to the Mexican palace, that is the Argentinean house (but for most American south of the US there is only Mexico, and Argentina is part of Mexico –as they also speaks Mexican…- so, there you go…). It was Ayla birthday party celebration, and there was merengue music and more drinks and a swimming pool to which I could not resist. I just love soaking into the water looking at the moon and the stars…

Around 1:30, we decided it was time to go home. Perfect timing to find on our way a drunk driver that missed a turning and came on our line. Thanks god we all we were all wearing our seatbelt and were sitting in the front (not of the trunk). I turned to the right trying to avoid a full frontal, and the truck hit us on the front left side, slide along my side and re-hit the trunk, as our car was totally being pushed farther on the right. The man keep on “driving” for few meter, before crashing on the rock wall. Alyssa and Mia were fine, so I pulled the hand brake and jumped out the truckosauros to get that man outside his truck. Unlikely the hand brake did not work, and the truckosauros started sliding back, hitting me with the open door and dragging me for a couple of meter, until I lay flat on the door and let the door pass other me. What a stupid looking scene. The rockwall was there anyway, and the truckosarous stopped not far. I ran to get the man out his truck that was filling with gray smoke. The door was stocked, he looked quite unconscious... what a fright! Adrenaline come to my help (after I realized that even if I could have broken the window I could never been able to get that big man out from there) and I was finally able to open the door, after opening it few centimeters and then, having my back against the truck and pushing with my legs onto the door. The man looked like he just wake up from a dream (and probably he was) as I was trying to pull him out. In the meanwhile, Alyssa phoned the police and star shouting for help. A young guy ran to my help to get the man out… soon after the all neighborhoods came out, I called the Argentineans for support (and they also called a friend that is a lawyer) and soon there were about 20 people around, sitting, chatting, smoking.. waiting for the police. Even the drunk guy was nice enough to speak in English to us and to apologize. The police part was quite fast. The man that hit us was arrested with handcuffed on the spot (he was very drunk). Then the police took my name and phone number and told me they were going to phone me the next day for the report. (of course next day is Sunday and they never called). They did not even asked for Mia’s or Alyssa’s name. Luckily, none was seriously injured, just few scratches on my knees. Two morals: wear your seat belt and do not drink and drive!!!

And, well, I was driving Paul’s car, my ex, that I was going to sell today… I do not think the truckosauros will still be able to happily roam on the wild roads of Tutuila, but he died with honor giving his fragile frame to protect us. And I can probably get more money from the insurance than by selling it…

So, after all, it still was a nice night! All is well, what ends up well. (the victims of the accident the next day... Alyssa, Mia and I -still working removing asphalt from my knees..)

No comments: