Monday, April 14, 2008

Act5: my big fat treasure box

A popular Italian proverb says “chi trova un amico, trova un tesoro”. “Who finds a friend, finds a treasure”. And I have to say that Oregon is one of my richest treasure boxes. Being back in Oregon was in the middle between a jump in the past, and recognition of my present. Because no matter where I am or what I do, it is always me. By finding my friends, I also found myself. I felt good. As I walked on campus people came to me saying they were glad I was back. “No, I am here only for weekend” was my sad answer, as somewhere in my heart, a voice was telling me I should go back there. I cannot believe people still remember me, and how easy is to talk with all of them, as if I really have been missing for 2 weeks instead than 2 years. But after all this is part of who I am: suddenly appearing at somebody’s door without pre-advice. I do not believe in “Farewell” (as, I won’t see you again). I wonder now if Renato from Brazil is like me in this, and this is why we meet randomly in unthinkable places.
I saw my advisors, which fulfilled me with compliments and boosted my ego “is the job you are doing challenging enough for you?” I think this is one of the best compliments I ever received. It is challenging, but it feels great to see the results. Our program back in Neverland just won an award from the big EPA boss in back in Washington DC.
Friday night Liz and Biniam organized a party in my honor. We had a bit potluck as we used to have, and spent the all night chatting and telling stories. The winner story is definitely the one that describes how Rob broke his toes. I will write it at the end of the post for the ones that know Rob… there is a new girl in town, Maria from Spain! Another identity thief, but do not worry Maria Jose, you are always first in our heart! But it was funny how much she looked like our Maria, preparing Spanish tortillas, carefully cut into squares, and how she ditched us for breakfast because she had to clean the restroom!

And, of course, what a better way to end (or start!) the night than going to the Platinum for some good, healthy salsa dancing! What a good timing to be there! Well, I guess I am just good about timing! Biniam even got unexpected ningera (Eritrean fermented bread) that was perfect for his Eritrean dinner! Dancing was great. Noel and Carlos were there, they taught me to dance 8 years ago, the first time I lived in Corvallis (from Latin “cor” = heart, “vallis” = of the valley). I wish Fernando was there too, the number 1 dancer in Oregon! Dancing with Noel was very close to dirty dancing but, oh well, I can do once a year, right? And then it is the man to blame, I am only a woman following! :)

Saturday morning we met to have breakfast at a very American-looking place, and then we decided to enjoy the rest of the day playing Frisbee-golf at the Willamette Park. Just like the old time! I wish this weekend would have never ended!



I went to visit Dawn at her new beautiful house and then got ready to leave. Elly and her family were waiting for us in Portland for dinner and some chat, we (Biniam, Liz and I) spend the night there so they could drive me at the airport early in the morning. Elly’s dad is happy to walk me to the altar if I will ever get worried. That also makes me fells so much stronger.

Definitely this weekend was a confidence booster. The all holiday was great, I finally had a holiday all for myself in which finally, I was not leaving the island to take care of other business, but I was actually thinking about me. All about ME, ME, ME, ME!!! Wow, it fells good! I feel stronger now, I got that power back! I love you all guys, I will come and visit any chance I will be given (or I will be taking! :)!).

(the holy rite of closing the mystical box that will get me energy for the next months on island)
(Elly's dad making the box security proof... you know those people at the airport are always after your food!)
(this is what italian take with them when they move to a small island... pasta Barilla!! because "dove c'e' Barilla, c'e' casa" "Your home is where Barilla is")

Ah, and Elly and Liz decided to call it “the Barbi’s spell” rather than the “Barbi’s curse”, it sounds much better, don’t you think so Trevor? Plus Maria does not want me to be a witch! Jajaja!
And James Bond, can we squeeze a weekend in Oregon too? My friends want to meet you too.

I was so ready to miss that flight to return to the island, but, oh well, I guess I am still too responsible! My cousin Mia is coming on next flight, and I am ready for a new adventure!!

3 comments:

Tyson said...

I swear the new Maria in Corvallis sounds like a clone of the original Maria Jose!!!!!

Your blog is great!!! Have fun back in Neverland!!!

Unknown said...

Barbara, so great!! i want to go to Oregon too and see Elly, Elly's dad, otto, biniam, trev and everybodyyyy!!
and found out who is my clone!!! je jee!!!

I hope we can make it and meet in corvallis in June with everybody!!!

we need to talk!! conect to skype!!
ciaooo bellaaaa

Unknown said...

Barbara you actually wearing a dress. That was something I never seen before :).