Saturday, March 15, 2008

My brother's wedding

Well, VIVA GLI SPOSI!!! I wish I was there. I just finish talking to the phone with him. It is 10:50 of Saturday morning in Italy. It is 10:50 of Friday night here. He is all well dressed, waiting for the judge and for Barbara, this is her soon-to-be wife’s name, to come.

(My brother Stefano, alias Zaza', and Barbara, drinking pina coladas at Tisa's)

They are in a hotel in the Alps, there are 3 friends from Rome, 3 more could not make it because the car broke half way, my grandma and my uncle Pietro. I do not know the guest from Barbara’s side. She is going to take my brother last name. She is going to be called exactly like me, considering that I am a Barbara too and my brother and I share, naturally, the same last name. She is also going to be resident at the same address I am resident. She is stealing my identity! ;)
Stefano’s wedding is exciting and sad at the same time. Barbara is a great woman, the perfect combination between girlfriend and mom that my brother needs. She is very sweet and she eats very well, and I know my brother is in good hands. My dad chose very well when he found her for him. I wonder now if I should have had listen to him too. But I was born under a different star I guess. I got those traveling genes that Lidia, my dad’s aunt, had. I have itchy feet. The idea of settling down in a place scares me. When I am getting ready to travel somewhere, for weeks I am like a puppy getting excited waiting for the food to be served. I just cannot help it, it is like a drug I need. Maybe this is why I like improvising, it is just less worries.

But today, imagining my brother standing tall and elegant, exchanging rings with his loved one, I wish I could just be there. I wish he could have waited for me, or told me a bit earlier. I am happy for him, but it is a bit sad for me. My mam, Gigia, passed away 5 years ago. From her I got the love for the mountains and the nature. My dad, Mario (yes, just like the superMario Bros!), passed away 6 months ago. From him I learned to be strong and firm on my decisions. Now, I feel like I am loosing a bit of my brother too.

And all I am left with are my trusted teddy bears, Mock, Shake and Amore (for the ones who knew him, Iari was lost in action on my way back from Japan about 3 years ago) and this picture of my family, as I like to remember it, the 4 of us hiking in the Alps, hanging from the wall in my bedroom…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

aaaaa!!!! i am soooooo glad that zaza's got married his love!!! so happy for him ;)