Saturday, March 8, 2008

I am going to Alaska!!!

The last frontier is waiting for me and soon I am getting off this rock! From latitude 14 degree south to 61 degrees North! From a constant temperature of 27 degrees Celsius (74 Fahrenheit) to a “hope does not get colder” of 2 degree Celsius (35.6 Fahrenheit). From “small island” (Tutuila has an area of 137 km2 (53 mile2)) to “great land”, that is apparently the word “Alaska” means (from the Aleut word meaning “great land” or “that which the sea breaks against”). Shortly, quite a change! I love those!

That could be a problem in the very immediate future because my flip-flop and my flowered lava-lava (surround wrap) won’t keep me warm enough up there, and I do not really have winter clothing here… but, oh well, I still have about 13 days to drive around the island looking for warm staff. My best bet so far is that I will be able to find something at K-S mart, because that store is ridiculously cold and I often see the owner wearing a duvet jacket in there. Anyway, I will keep you updated with that…

Alaska!!! I always dreamt to go there any day, and about two weeks ago, what a coincidence, I found a training I should really attend for work and I got authorized to go. I love my job. So far, this is the plan: as soon as I land I will go to the first second hand store I can find and I will buy some warm cloths to wear, at least during the training. I will be staying with some friends of a friend (I really hate being all alone in a place I do not know!) in Eagle River, a bit outside Anchorage. These friends of a friend also have friends: one of them does rock-climbing and the other is a tango dancing teacher. Amazingly, a friend here also recommended the same guy in Samoa! How many people can possibly tango in Alaska!?!?!?!

Then on the last day of my training… SNOW DAVE is coming back to Alaska from somewhere is the U.S. And Suka will be with him! My other love! (SnowDave and Suka last week in Alaska)

The three of us will spend the weekend around Dave’s hut, on they way between Anchorage and Fairbanks, close to the Denali National Park, and then we will go to Fairbanks where SnowDave has to work for 3 days and I have to have fun! More hiking/exploring for the rest of the week and then we will be back to Anchorage, where I am planning to go paragliding for the remaining 3 days (and maybe more tango and rock climbing!). I cannot believe I do not have my wing with me, but I may be able to get one from a local paraglide school!(SnowDave and I backpacking somewhere in British Columbia, Canada...)

…. But the surprise does not finish here, because, after Alaska, I am going to….

No comments: