Monday, August 18, 2008

Every day is a gift (?)

EPA paddlers team

Sunday night. I am lying on my bed, laptop on my lap, pondering about a lazy weekend that turned out to be very busy indeed.

On Friday I panicked after a break up and I called a S.O.S. woman night. Not to bitch about guys (as many guys may fear would happen), but mainly for psychological support, to have somebody to eat mozzarella sticks and chocolate and drink wine with. So Friday came my first realization (first realization of the weekend, I have realization quite often lately): for how small and isolated this island is, you will never be alone if you ask for help. And, like in fairy tales, at the first tear 4 wonderful fairies appeared with wine and fries made from famous Idaho potato (very popular on the island lately), romantic comedies, hugs and funny stories. You cannot ask for anything more! Thank you girls!!!!!
And like in the fairy tales, little animals appeared around my bed as I was sleeping (maybe sewing a new puletasi for my new life?). Although I was rude and kindly hit the mouse with the umbrella a couple of times because he was being too noisy. No puletasi for me in the morning.
And I also had to get the mouse outside next morning. I am surprise how sleeping with a mouse does not bother me at all anymore, “after all”, I think “it is just a cute mouse, it could be a PINK DOG and be much worst!” (Pink dogs are scaring mythological animal that resemble a fur-less dog, with absent eyes and exposed teethes that sometimes appears into the restrooms of bad boys that do not eat their vegetables. Unluckily, in Neverland they are a real problem and a common sight… -Jeremy has a video of it on his blog-).

In the afternoon, I participated to a social outrigger canoe race (a canoe with a float on the side that seat 6 people in a row). I have been paddling intensively a year ago, and I just returned into the water a couple of weeks ago, so this race represented a good welcome back for me. I missed been out in the water, feeling my lungs burning with oxygen (or with the lack of it), the fun, the enthusiasm and the passion of the participants.
I captained the EPA team (for which I usually steer) and also participated in a 1-man race, that was quite fun actually because none of the participant could go straight (we were all inexperienced on the 1-man and the currents and wind were strong enough to make us going zig-zag to the end).
The race lasted all afternoon; there were 250 meters races, 500 meters races, 1000 meters races, 1-man, 6-man… and once the canoes were lifted to the ground, there were pizzas, sandwiches, pasta, beers and Peti’s cakes (that are always amazing and always worth driving back for). So, I ended up spending the evening at the yacht club, catching up with friends I did not see for a while. And I also remembered what I loved so much about paddling, a part the fact that it is probably the only outside sport you can fully enjoy without worrying about mosquitoes. It is the evening at the Yacht Club. The best view ever, a sight that, even after 2 and ½ years on the island, still makes you think that this place is magical. Imagine: the moon is rising on the other side of the harbor, behind the Rain Maker Mountain; it looks like a huge parmigiano cheese, shining of its own light, illuminating few clouds; its reflection glitters in the water in front of you. Grounded on the grass at the edge of the sea, there are some catamarans and some outriggers, also illuminated with the light of the parmigiano-moon. And if you close your eyes, for a moment, you can smell the flowers (that are always blooming), and the coconut oil that the girls put in their hair. Once again, a common though (that cross your mind every time you see something amazing, or when something amazingly stupid happens) knock somewhere into your head, followed by a sight: “I still cannot believe I am here”.

Sunday it was time to catch up with myself. That is writing e-mails, cleaning the house, cook some food for lunch tomorrow (to avoid the scaring pasta-pisupo-mayonese sandwich), do a laundry, have a Skype-tea with some friends… all staff no one ever speaks about, but that are somehow essential to life.
The evening was also great. Liz had a remarkable idea: every 2 or so weeks, somebody will volunteer to cook dinner for everybody, every time food from a different country.
My plan is to prepare some Eritrean food. I have Berbere’ with me here, and I may be getting something more soon from the States. I cook Italian food every day, I am up for a challenge!

Tonight we had Thai food, a complete success. The food was great and the company superb. I sat down on a table with women only, and I have to say I really learned so much!!! Midwives can be a well of wisdom (midwives aiutano una donna a partorire)!

I close with this though, that came from the sensei of the kung fu panda:

“"Yesterday is history,
tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift,
this is why it is called present"

I want to feel asleep holding this though, waking up with a gift… good night you all people from around the world and you lost kids of Neverland!!!

No comments: