Thursday, February 14, 2008

Palagi for a week -guest appearance-

Talofa from the pale palagi in American Samoa! Here’s a guest appearance in Barbara’s blog from her friend Stephanie. I arrived 5 or so days ago, and I’m having a wonderful time so far. So, I’ll just start from the beginning…

Last Thursday Feb. 7, the plane touched down in AS late in the evening, and I found myself smacked instantly with the heat after a chilly plane ride from Honolulu. Waiting by the baggage claim roundabout, it was hard not to notice that I seemed to be one of the few obvious foreigners. Probably even more striking considering that I came from tourist heaven Honolulu. Where are the white socks and shorts and dangling cameras in this tropical paradise? Actually, this lack of tourists was a welcoming theme at this point as things seemed less contrived. What you see is what you get, I suppose. However, the flip side is that less services are available to people who don’t know their way around—but good news is that Barbara was waiting to pick me up as soon as I left customs. She ran up to me with a lei and a kiss on the cheek, so great to see her again! I quickly met a couple of her friends who were also hanging out in the airport (the place to be I hear), and then we were off to home. Ever since, she’s been an awesome guide to have on the island. Barbara, you might consider starting a second career as a trip planning and activities guide! Maybe you could do a work exchange for things that are hard to find, eh? Like herbal tea, Limoncello, olive oil, new books, and truck parts (like that fan belt)? An idea!

We’ve done lots of things—from exploring on the Mt. Ava trail in the national park, to diving in the bay on coral reefs, to relaxing in the shade at Sliding Rock, to hosting a gnocchi party. And the fun goes on, believe you me. Tonight Tai-Kwan-Do and tomorrow a traditional Samoan “Umu” meal.

Happy to have this island experience and thanks to Barbara and Alyssa for hosting! Off to Samoa (Western) on Thursday, and then New Zealand, before back home to WA on Feb. 25. Just wanted to share a couple tidbits so far. Ciao bella!

Stephanie from Olympia, WA










No comments: