Friday, January 25, 2008

Finding Neverland

I guess it is about time for me to start a new blog... I apologize for writing it in english, but I figured few people would appreciate Italian, or Spanish, or Latin nor ancient Greek!

So, here I am, after 4 tragic years of my life, in which at least I was able to get a masters, I finally found myself again in the most unimaginable place on earth: Neverland!!!! (in Italian, “l’isola che non c’e’”, the island that does not exist!)


It is hard to find this island on the map, because it is tiny tiny and you do need one of those full-wall-size maps to actually see it, but it does actually exist! I can prove that I am in Neverland:

  • First of all, you can only come here and leave from here at night, and that makes perfect sense because otherwise how could the pilots see the second star on the right that needs to be followed ‘til the morning?

  • Secondly, anyone that comes here returns to being a kid and, no matter your age, you will find yourself playing until late at night and do silly things much more often than you normally would in the real world.

  • You can easily find mermaids, lost children, pirates and even Indians (and other ethnicities)

  • Ok, and this is the definitive proof, coming from Wikipedia: “Peter Pan is a character created by Scottish novelist and playwright J.M. Barrie (1860-1973). A mischievous boy who flies and magically refuses to grow up, Peter Pan spends his never-ending childhood adventuring on the small island of Neverland as the leader of his gang the Lost Boys, interacting with fairies and pirates, and from time to time meeting ordinary children from the world outside”. Sounds familiar?

  • American Samoa became a territory of the US since April 17, 1900 Deed of Cession. Peter Pan first appeared in 1902, in a novel called “The little white bird”. Could this be just a coincidence...
And here a print of Neverland... you surely recognize the steep mountains, the dogs on the left side attaching Peter Pan... and what about that Spanish looking galleon that I also saw drawn on the back of a aiga-bus here in Samoa (the one that goes to Aasu... Massacre Bay)... still doubts???

Well, I could go on a bit longer, but truly, come here to visit, because this is heaven! A very funny heaven!

So, anyway, I am not sure how I got here, about 2 years ago, I guess I was still in that wheel mood, the wheel that spins and spins and takes me places. I like it here. I got a great job, monitoring stream water quality and managing databases (GIS work) and my co-workers are wonderful (a part from that one that stole my precious worms...;-P but that is another story...).
My stilt house on the side of the mountain is fresh and cozy, complete with an room-mate, Alyssa (american), 3 cats, Pisi, Sami and Sylviax, a guard dog, Attila, and a nice garden where flowers bloom all the time and the tomatoes grow just fine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is a cool story!!! please keep writing! you need to put more pictures in your blog, I love to see them!!
big kisses!! I will dream tonight with the neverland!
Maria